Careers in Audiology

All hearing care professionals in Australia must be a government accredited Audiologist or Audiometrist to work under the Australian Government Hearing Service Program, and there are a number of steps, or criteria:

  1. Education in either Audiology or Audiometry
  2. The professional must spend time working under supervision in the field within an organisation like HEARINGLife
  3. Sit an exam that is set by the relevant industry body

At HEARINGLife, we do not favour one direction over another. Hearing Care Professionals from both fields are on an equal footing in terms of ability to assist people with hearing care within our clinics and consideration for career advancement and managerial roles.

Audiologist courses

To become an audiologist you must have first completed a bachelor degree at university and then undertake and complete a Master of Clinical Audiology. In Australia this course is available at five universities: Flinders University - South Australia; Melbourne University - Victoria; Macquarie University - New South Wales; University of Western Australia - Western Australia and University of Queensland – Queensland.
The Master of Clinical Audiology (MCAud) course is a 2-year full time program, which includes coursework and supervised clinical practicum of around 200 hours (varies between universities).
There are no specific prerequisite undergraduate subjects, but relevant undergraduate degrees include linguistics, psychology, speech and hearing science, biomedical science or physical and behavioural sciences. Acceptance into the program is based on good grades in any undergraduate university degree and an interview to determine if the student has a good grasp of the requirements for the profession of audiology.

Course links

For information about these programs please contact the university offering the program.


Course: University of Melbourne:  Graduate Diploma in Audiological Science & Masters of Clinical Audiology
Contact: Annie Cruse
Department of Otolaryngology
The University of Melbourne
550 Swanston Street, PARKVILLE, VIC 3010
Ph: +61 3 9035 5322


Course: Flinders University:   Master of Audiology
Contact: Dr. Christopher Lind
Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology
Flinders University
GPO Box 2100
Ph: 08 8204 5950
Fax: 08 8204 5935
Ms. Karen Sparrow (Lecturer in Audiology)
Address as above
Ph: 08 8204 5986


Course: Macquarie University:   Master of Audiology
Contact: Catherine McMahon
Department of Linguistics
Macquarie University NSW 2109
Ph: 02 9850 8775
Research degrees in Audiology
Associate Professor Philip Newall
Department of Linguistics
Macquarie University NSW  2109
Ph: 02 9850 8779


Course: University of Western Australia:   Master/PhD in Clinical Audiology
Contact: Dr Robert Patuzzi
Department of Physiology
The University of Western Australia
Nedlands WA 6907
Ph:  08 9380 1422
Fax: 08 9380 1025


Course: University of Queensland:   Master of Audiology Studies
Contact: Dr Louise Hickson
University of Queensland
Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology
School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences
St Lucia QLD 4067
Ph:  07 3365 3078

To become an Audiometrist, there are now two paths that a professional may take:

1. Diploma of Audiometry

  • Certificate IV in Audiometry: Certificate IV in Audiometric Assessment
  • Diploma of Hearing Device Prescription and Evaluation.

2. Bachelor of Audiometry

Diploma of Audiometry

Both courses require completion of core and elective units/ modules (flexible learning options), supervised clinical practicum in the workplace, attendance at classroom sessions and assignments and assessments.

Students who complete the Certificate IV in Audiometric Assessment can perform hearing screenings and assessments to identify hearing impairment and take appropriate action. This action may include referral for further audiological or medical assessment; coordinating programs for the prevention of hearing loss; and/ or care management and education programs. People in this area work in audiology or Audiometry practices, industrial settings or community and regional health settings.

Audiometrists who complete the Diploma of Hearing Device Prescription and Evaluation can also prescribe or dispense hearing aids and will eventually qualify to work as an independent practitioner. Audiometrists who work for HEARINGLife must have completed both qualifications.

At present, two TAFE colleges in Australia offer these courses: TAFE Ultimo, New South Wales (face to face classroom option) and OTEN Strathfield, New South Wales (distance learning program with some residential schools).

Bachelor of Audiometry

If you have completed the Certificate IV in Audiometric Assessment and are currently enrolled in the new Diploma in Audiometry at TAFE (HLT51307 Diploma of Hearing Device Prescriptions and Evaluations), or have completed the new Diploma, you are eligible to start the Bachelor of Audiometry program at UNE.  This will lead to a named undergraduate degree in Audiometry.  The combination of practical vocational training and strongly relevant conceptual knowledge makes you highly competiitve in the employment market and in the application pool for entry to postgraduate study in Clinical Audiology.

Course links

Certificate in Audiometric Assessment

Hearing Device Prescription and Evaluation

Bachelor of Audiometry